I am a psychotherapist and a qualified counsellor and I work from a mainly Gestalt perspective. I am dedicated to helping individuals achieve their goals in regard to alcohol and drug addiction, self esteem issues, life skills, grief and loss and more. My desire to work in this field comes from my own experiences with drug addiction, recovery, low self esteem, relationships, sexuality, identity and beliefs, body image issues and family conflict.
Read Stu's bio here.
My background is in high school and primary school teaching. I completed a Graduate Diploma in Counselling in 2008. In 2009 I received my certificate IV in Mental health. In 2012 I completed a four year course of study at the Sydney Gestalt Institute and graduated from GTS to attain a Masters in Gestalt Psychotherapy. My Major work was on attachment theory and how we relate and communicate with others. My secondary focus was Grief and Loss and working with gay men using a Gestalt framework.
Gestalt is an existential and experimental form of psychotherapy that focuses on the individuals experience in the present moment, the relationship between therapist and client, the context and environment from which the client comes and the self regulating adjustments or the coping mechanisms a person uses as a result of their situation.
As part of my work I use psychodynamic interventions, experiments and aspects of cognitive behavioural therapy as well as pragmatic skill building. I also draw also upon Pia Melody's 'Relational Developmental Model' the key stone and style of therapy used at South Pacific Private in Curl Curl, Sydney.
Additionally I place great emphasis on understanding each person for who they are, their particular formative life experiences and valuing each individual without trying to pathologize how they have come to be as they are.
- Masters in Gestalt Therapy at 'Gestalt Therapy Sydney.' Final Year 2012
- Certificate of Gestalt Counselling - Sydney Gestalt Institute 2010
- Certificate IV in Mental Health - 2010
- Family Constellation Training - Maria Dolenc -2010
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling - Australian College of Applied Psychology, 2008
- Diploma of Education U.N.S.W, 2001
- Bachelor of Arts UNSW, 2000 - Majoring in Theatre, Film and English Literature
- Current First Aid Certificate -The Australian Red Cross
- Developing your Presence as a Group Leader - CCWT Sydney
- Suicide Assist - Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trainer
- Keeping Current in Child Protection - CCWT
- South Pacific Private - Therapeutic Fundamentals - 2008
- South Pacific Private - Integration of Therapeutic Fundamentals - 2008
- Certificate in Fitness Instruction -Fitness Institute Australia - 2009
- Intern Member CAPA - The Counsellors and Psychotherpists Association of N.S.W.
- Membership Number 38908
Location: 95 Forbes Street, Wooloomooloo.
'Thrive' Chiropractic @ 185 Victoria Street, Potts Point.
Stu has returned from Thailand and working in Victoria now and can see people at the Malvern Public Hospital or in Hawthorn as well as online/Skype meetings and in Ballarat. Stu is offering one hour and half hour Skype sessions and phone call information sessions to support individuals and families experiencing addiction challenges and needing rehab direction and information in Australia. This includes referral to reputable drug and alcohol professionals in Australia - especially in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide areas.
If you want to know more feel free to call Stu on + 61 410324384.